Jan. 31, 2021
15 Things Every Lipo Battery Individual Should Know(1)
LiPo batteries are generally safer as well as much more eco-friendly than other R/C batteries like NiCd and also NiMH. LiPo batteries have come to be the most common high performance R/C battery as well as are used in R/C cars, watercrafts, aircrafts, helis, multirotors and also even more. Nonetheless, if charged, discharged, stored, kept, or handled improperly, they can become incredibly harmful. This is a straightforward guide for safe LiPo battery ownership and use.
1. Never ever bill, discharge, utilize, or store a harmed or puffy LiPo battery. Promptly adhere to proper disposal procedures.
2. Avoid purchasing made use of LiPo batteries. You never understand what the previous proprietor performed with them and they can currently be severely harmed. "LiPo Battery Fresh, Used When" is generally a rip-off and should be prevented.
3. Constantly utilize an appropriate LiPo battery equilibrium charger/discharger when charging and releasing your LiPos. It is crucial that all cells in a LiPo battery keep the exact same voltage throughout all cells in any way times. If the voltages throughout the cells deviate too much from each various other (5mV ~ 10Mv), the battery can come to be unstable and also hazardous. (Unless it's a single cell LiPo, in which case you do not need to worry about cell balance).
4. Constantly make use of a fire evidence LiPo safety and security bag, steel ammunition box, or various other fire proof container when you are billing, discharging, or keeping your LiPo batteries. While LiPo fires are unusual, they can occur unbelievably rapidly and also can do a great deal of damage. All it takes is an internal short circuit to set the battery off. There is no way to anticipate when it will certainly take place. It does have a tendency to happen regularly when batteries are totally charged, being overcharged, or while being released, but it can take place to any kind of LiPo at any time. Never fill up the container to capability with your batteries, always follow maker suggestions on LiPo bags for the amount of mAh's it can securely contain.
5. Do not utilize your trip case/travel case for long term LiPo storage. The foam as well as plastic in these situations can help spread a LiPo fire. Constantly utilize a fire evidence container such as a metal ammunition box or fire proof risk-free for storage.
6. Never ever leave your LiPo batteries billing while unattended. If a battery begins to come to be puffy, smoke, or ignites you need to be able to quickly manage the situation. Walking away for also just 5 mins can mean calamity.
7. A LiPo fire is a chemical fire. Always keep a Class D fire extinguisher close-by your battery charging/discharging and also storage space location. The battery charging/discharging and storage location should be without any type of materials which can catch fire such as timber tables, carpet, or gasoline containers. The optimal surface area for billing and also storing LiPo batteries is concrete or ceramic.